It’s that time again. As we look ahead to a promising new year for the beauty industry, we take time to reflect on the media landscape changes that have brought us to where we are today. Day to day and week to week, our team analyses media data across 1,250 brands, spanning print and digital publications, and social media. Now, with 2021 behind us, we’ve consolidated this data across the UK and Ireland to reveal a snapshot of the past year; a wrap-up report that tells us where beauty media is now, and where it’s going.
Our unique understanding of the beauty industry gives brands greater granularity while monitoring media. We’re the only platform that provides categorisation in the UK as well as the Irish market, enabling PRs to drill down to their chosen sector, such as Skincare or Cosmetics. This also allows us to offer comprehensive and actionable insights in our annual Media Wrap-Up Report. So, what can we learn about beauty media from 2021?
In this year’s report, we reveal:
- How the volume of media mentions, and their earned media value (EMV) have changed dramatically since the pandemic first began in 2020. New data points to a marked shift in the beauty conversation, which will impact how you approach your PR and communications strategies through 2022.
- The beauty categories that experienced a surprising fall in mentions through 2021; the very same sectors that thrived in 2020, over the course of intermittent lockdowns.
- Which beauty categories enjoyed a boost in visibility in the UK, as beauty brands and their customers started to settle into the ‘new normal’. Two of the reigning sectors were lesser-discussed in 2020 but gained more coverage over 2021 – a trend that looks set to continue in 2022.
- The best-performing platforms delivering the highest share of beauty-focused mentions. This insight not only helps you understand where your brand might experience the highest visibility but also highlights opportunities to stand out where conversation might currently be low.
- The 10 beauty brands with the highest number of media mentions in 2021. Discover the digital disruptors and key power players that dominated the press and social media last year. (They’re looking strong for 2022, too.)
All of these insights, and more, can be found in the mmi Media Wrap-Up Report 2021, helping to refine your upcoming strategies with fact-based decision-making. To see the full report, you can download it for free here.
Up next: Discover how to use categorisation when tracking your beauty brand’s media mentions.